Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beauty on the Cheap - Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap



As a makeup artist, I am constantly looking for a safe, cheap & effective way to deep clean my brushes.  For my daily cleanings or for quick in-between washes, I use Japonesque's AMAZING Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner.

Japonesque Parian Spirit Brush Cleaner
I personally love this brush cleaner because it smells citrus-y and fresh, and just 1-2 sprays gets my brushes clean.  At roughly $12.50 for a 4.25oz bottle (or $30 for a jumbo size 16oz), many may argue that this is a bit on the pricey side, but if you compare the sprays needed to get a brush clean using another brush cleaner (ahem, Bobbi Brown, Sephora.. I've tried them all) - this product beats the rest.  I am the queen of waterproof, long-lasting makeup, so my stippling and foundation brushes are impossible to clean, but not with this baby!  My absolute, go-to daily brush cleanser that requires no effort at all.


Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap in Assorted Scents

For my deep cleanings, I love to use Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap in Peppermint.  One drop of this mixed with some water to foam up the soap, and my brushes are as clean as new.  It keeps your brushes smelling fresh and its bristles soft.  I know that many of my colleagues prefer using Johnson & Johnson body wash, but I personally find this ineffective because (as mentioned above) my makeup literally sticks to my brushes like no tomorow.  Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap is the one product that I've found to effectively clean my brushes with minimal time and product.  The best part about this product?  It is a multi-functional, vegan product that people use as body wash, shampoo, face cleanser (I do!), multi-purpose cleaner, detergent, etc.  For a bargain price of $10.50-$16 for such a large bottle, you'll find yourself reaching for this more often & for more uses than you would imagine!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tina! Awesome site :) I am so glad that you have finally started your own beauty blog, I'm surprised you haven't made one sooner. I am definitely going to start reading this periodically because like you, I have oily acne-prone skin, and I am constantly looking for products that complement my skin type.

    One thing I have found that I do enjoy using is Rose Thayer Witch Hazel as a toner AND a brush cleaner! It's alcohol free and natural, as well as being able to clean off all of the makeup off my brushes. It is relatively inexpensive for its size (at about $8 for 12 fl oz). If you decide to give it a try, let me know how you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph :) Thanks for dropping by! I know, this blog has been long overdue.. But I will definitely (try) to update this more often so I can share tips with all my readers!

    I've never tried Rose Thayer Witch Hazel but I do have a bottle of Dickenson's Witch Hazel at home - I am definitely going to give this a try & wash my brushes with it! Do you dilute it with water or do you put your brushes in a pure solution of witch hazel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason why I bought Rose Thayer Rose Petal Witch Hazel was because it doesn't contain alcohol, which Dickenson's does contain. I try to avoid toners with alcohol because I don't want to dry out my face (which may also destroy your brushes too).

    I've never tried to dilute it with water, though that may be worth a try. I like to put it in a spray bottle and spray directly on my brushes and wipe away like a daily brush cleanser. I find it works as well as the MAC brush cleanser, so far.

    If you want to pick some up, they sell it at GNC in various fragrances such as cucumber and lavender. GNC has awesome BOGO 50% off deals too, so catch that if you find that you love the product :) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete